Hornsea Town have gone one better than Hull City after recording their 7th consecutive win on 19th January (City could only manage a draw after 6 wins in the league). They have now climbed up to 4th place in the Humber Premier League.
Saturday 29th December:
Westella & Willerby 2 – 3 Hornsea Town.
Ryan Silvestri x2, Alex Sherwood
Town made it four wins on the bounce after claiming a hard-fought 3 points away at Westella & Willerby on the gaffers 50th Birthday. (right)
Hornsea took the lead after a scrappy start, mid-way through the first half with a well taken Silvestri finish. Hornsea took charge of the game from there and the ball was soon over the line again after a goal mouth scramble. As any striker would – Silvestri will claim it.
With the Seasiders 2-0 ahead at half time it looked like only one side were set to win…
Westella had something else in mind as they came out of the blocks faster and pulled a goal back early in the half. From there the play was shared with both teams carving out chances but not quite putting them away. Westella then equalised with around twenty minutes to go and pushed hard for the winner. It was Hornsea though who were looking sharp on the counter and took the win with an excellent Alex Sherwood finish with 5 minutes left on the clock.
The result made for a happy 50th birthday for manager Geoff Whitehead.
Saturday 5th January:
Hornsea Town 3 – 2 Walkington FC.
Chris Walker, Ryan Silvestri, Sam Burton
The Seasiders took an early lead through Chris Walker and very much looked in control from there. A second came soon after as Silvestri caught the keeper off his line and slotted home from distance, giving Hornsea a 2-0 lead going in to half-time.
For the second week running though the lads came out second best and Walkington pulled one back early in the second half. This time though Hornsea responded and Sam Burton gave Town back the two goal advantage, at the second time of asking. It was a scrappy game from there with Walkington continuing to push to find their way back in and at times looked like doing so. A late consolation goal was added by Walkington as the game came to a close shortly after.
Saturday 12th January:
Hessle Rangers 0 – 4 Hornsea Town.
Al Sherwood x3, Chris Walker
It was a slow and lacklustre start from the lads in the first ten minutes as Hessle, to their credit, played some impressive football. Nevertheless, as has been the case in recent weeks, Hornsea – however the play is going – looked sharp on the counter. That’s just how the lead came, with a quick fire double from Al Sherwood and Chris Walker, plus a number of missed chances coming from being well set and breaking at speed.
At 2-0 though the perhaps game-winning moment came as a dubious penalty was awarded to Hessle. An incredible double save from keeper Luke Cotton kept Hornsea two goals in front and from then on it was comfortable. 2 more goals from Al Sherwood, including a terrific dink over the defender and finish to follow, ensured Town went home convincing winners once again.
Saturday 19th January
Hornsea Town 4-0 South Cave Utd
Al Sherwood, Ryan Silvestri 2. Chris Walker
Town are really purring now after another accomplished performance and a repeat of last week’s scoreline. This time though, they had sailed into a 3-0 lead by half time.
They now face a run of 5 games against top half opposition including two of the teams above them so it will be really tough to keep the winning run going.
Three of the matches are at home though so let’s get down to the Rec to give them some support.

Leave a Reply