In the last issue we reported on how Hornsea Town were slipping down the Humber Premier League table after a poor run of results but in the last month they have come roaring back with three wins on the bounce. A tactical reshuffle for the game against the league leaders appears to have been the spark for the change in fortunes.
Saturday 24th November:
Hornsea Town 2 – 1 Pocklington Town
Ryan Silvestri (Sponsored by 53 Cars)
Al Sherwood (Sponsored by Annie plant hire)
Town claimed a big 3 points against league leaders and the previously unbeaten Pocklington Town.
Hornsea were good value for the win and in fact it could have been more as the Seasiders’ forwards had many chances throughout the game.
Good link up from Al Sherwood and Ryan Silvestri saw Town take a deserved 1-0 lead into half time, though straight after the break Pocklington equalised. Sherwood later added a goal of his own to put Hornsea back into the lead before having further chances too.
Some great saves from Luke Cotton, a recent shift to centre back for Trevor Brooks and a return to the midfield for Jonny Kershaw resulted in one of Town’s best defensive displays of the season.
Saturday 1st December.
Reckitts 0 – 1 Hornsea Town
Chris Walker (Sponsored by D&B Commercials)
Town came away with another big 3 points in the league against a high flying Reckitts side.
A closely contested battle saw the league’s two highest scoring teams completely cancel each other out for the most-part, only for the game to be decided by a crisp left foot finish in off the post by Chris Walker in the second half. A big performance from the boys ensured a well- deserved and rare clean sheet.
Closing the run of 3 games against the top 3, Hornsea have come away with 2 victories and a narrow defeat.
Saturday 8th December:
Hornsea Town 2 – 1 Hessle Rangers
Ryan Silvestri (Sponsored by 53 Cars)
Chris Walker (Sponsored by D&B Commercials)
Town made it 3 wins on the bounce with a hard-fought victory against Hessle Rangers.
Hornsea never really got going in the first half but neither were they really threatened as the bigger chances of the half fell to Hornsea. Only a goal following a very dubious Hessle free-kick split the sides at half-time as Hornsea went in one-nil down.
A much improved second half saw Hornsea press higher and take control of the game and for the most-part it seemed more of a question of when Hornsea would score rather than if. Ryan Silvestri soon answered that with a tidy finish followed by a late Chris Walker left foot winner – reminiscent of just last week.
Hornsea go 6th and close the gap on the top 5 to just one point.

Leave a Reply