Job Done! (Almost)

Hornsea Town secured a convincing victory in the final game of their 17/18 Humber Premier League season. Hornsea finish the season 6 points above the bottom two though the job is not quite done with the teams below them holding games in hand. Yesterday’s victory however could go a long way to securing their current league position. Saturday 14th April. Humber Premier League – Hornsea Town  5 – 1 North Ferriby Ath. – Chris Walker x2 – Ben Leyland – Adam Yorke – Jordan Holmes The Seasiders were disappointed to concede in the game and really could have notched a few more themselves but ultimately must be delighted with the win and the performance in what was an important game. Double Promotion The club celebrate two confirmed promotions as both our Veterans team and the Sunday League team have secured their promotion spots! Attention now turns to ensuring League champion status for both before the season’s end! Am-Am We’d like to say a huge thanks to all those who took part in and contributed to our annual Golf AM/AM yesterday that this year was held at Hainsworth Park Golf Club in Brandesburton, an event that goes a long way to keeping the club afloat! Congratulations to the winners of the Keith Gorton Memorial Trophy 2018: Team Pete Cane! 2nd place: Team Premier Modular 3rd place: Team Andy Lambert Thanks go to all involved in the running of the day. To Cobie and the groundstaff at Hainsworth for being a huge help in organising the day and making sure the tournament could go ahead under difficult conditions. As well as to the catering team too! Massive thanks to all of the sponsors and the numerous kind donations that really do mean a great deal to the club. From March Edition: Hornsea Town’s dismal run in the Humber Premier League continued into February but a draw away to South Cave followed by a home win against Westella And Willerby gave hope of a revival. The next match away to bottom of the league East Riding will be a six-pointer and a chance to continue the upturn in form. Saturday 27th January Humber Premier League- Beverley Town 4 – 1 Hornsea Town Matty High Town’s poor form continued after a second half collapse saw them crash to another defeat. Missing a number of key players already then suffering further injuries early in the game, alongside difficult pitch conditions, Hornsea had to ride a wave of first half wind assisted Beverley attacks. Town held on well for the most-part until conceding a penalty to go 1-0 down. Hornsea settled into the game from there and Matty High poked home to make the scores 1-1 at half time. Heading into the second half Town were confident of taking the game to the opposition and breaking the bad run with the conditions now in their favour but an early second half collapse saw the team concede 3 quick fire goals to essentially kill the game after 55 mins. Town did have chances but failed to capitalise and the game ended 4-1. Saturday 3rd February: Hedon Rangers 3 – 2 Hornsea Town. Chris Walker Ben Leyland Luck continued to go against Town in a game they dominated for the most-part. Taking a deserved lead early on, Hornsea controlled proceedings early doors. A Hedon goal against the run of play shocked the Seasiders only to then be hit by 2 more soon after to shockingly go into half time 2 goals down. Hornsea went into the second half all guns blazing and spent the entirety of the second half on top, missing some clear cut chances and even open goals. Even though they pulled one back, with the missed chances and general run of play it was a very disappointing result. Saturday 10th February: Humber Premier League- South Cave United 1 – 1 Hornsea Town.(Josh Thompson) With a number of individuals missing Town put in an impressive performance away at South Cave to take away a point that really should have been all three. Hornsea played some great football at times and often had South Cave on the back foot, missing a number of key chances in what was a well competed game by both sides. A defensive mistake meant Town went 1-0 down in the first half but Town showed character to continue playing as they’d begun and early substitute Josh Thompson nodded in soon after for his first goal for the side. Town had the key chances thereafter but failed to convert. Saturday 17th February Humber Premier League: Hornsea Town 4 – 3 Westella & Willerby. Trevor Brooks Chris Walker Jez Longley Ed Griffiths Town claimed an important victory that was long in the making and took their first three points of 2018. Recent performances had suggested Hornsea are much better than the current league position reflects but defensive mistakes have consistently cost them dearly. The tide has seemed to change in recent weeks and after feeling hard done by to only claim a point last week, the lads more than made up for it in an impressive win. After taking an early lead Willerby soon equalised but Town continued to press and found themselves 4-1 ahead early in the second half. Full credit goes to the opposition who made changes and hounded the Seasiders for the time remaining but some spectacular Luke Cotton saves and a number of last ditch defensive blocks meant Town held on to the win under immense pressure.

Leave a Reply